Skip to main content

Motor Pool, Personal Vehicles & Local Travel

Motor Pool Vehicles

Motor Pool vehicle are often billed per mile. When combining personal vacation with a business trip, employees are responsible to log personal miles and reimburse their department for these miles. Employees electing to request a larger vehicle than is required for the travel business purpose must reimburse their department for the additional cost incurred.

Travelers must report mechanical failure or accidents to the Motor Pool immediately at 801-422-5544. For additional policy see Physical Facilities Transportation Services.

Privately Owned Vehicles

Travelers should abide by the University Travel Policy regarding use of personal vehicles while in travel status. Reimbursement for mileage will be at the IRS approved mileage rate and can be claimed on a Travel Expense Report under the Personal Vehicle section.

There is no reimbursement for the cost of repairs, maintenance, damages, or towing charges associated with a personal vehicle as these expenses are considered included in the IRS mileage rate. When traveling in a privately owned vehicle the driver’s personal insurance will be the primary insurance.

For more information regarding use of personal vehicles for BYU related travel and for the Assumption of Risk form, please visit BYU's Risk Management website.

Local Travel

Strictly on-campus mileage or normal commuting mileage to and from work is not reimbursable under any circumstances. Travelers required to use privately owned vehicles for local travel will receive reimbursement at the current IRS mileage reimbursement rate for business miles. These miles should be recorded on a mileage log and submitted in a Travel Expense Report. Mileage logs should be submitted at least once per semester. University vehicles should be used whenever possible for local travel.