Skip to main content

Surplus Procedures


As stated in University Surplus Policy:

"All items purchased with university funds are university property, unless specifically stated otherwise (e.g., research or project contracts). When university property becomes obsolete, outdated, unneeded, or unwanted, it should be declared "surplus" and disposed of according to university procedures. Depending on the classification of the goods, the department that originally purchased the goods may receive the net proceeds of surplus sales.”

"The Purchasing Department with the assistance of Physical Facilities (Moving) and OIT Surplus Sales will administer this policy and any surplus equipment handling.”

The Surplus Team (Comprised of representatives from the Purchasing Department, Physical Facilities, and OIT) handles all surplus according to the following governing priorities:

1. To protect BYU, its data, employees, and students against compromising situations.
2. To show respect for the sacred funds allocated to BYU by utilizing surplus property as fully as possible. This includes reallocation within the University, benefitting student education, or selling for market value or as near market value as practical.
3. To conduct the sale of surplus property in a manner that is fair and non-prejudicial to buyers, maintain BYU's reputation and ensure transactions are both legal and present no conflicts of interest.
4. To ensure low-value items (where proceeds might do little more than offset expenses) are disposed of through proper recycling and waste practices.

Surplus Definition
Items are defined as Surplus when they meet at least one of these criteria:

  • Is no longer needed by any entity in the department
  • Is being replaced
  • Is considered to have $0 value to the department
  • Is broken
  • Is no longer considered to be functioning or working properly

How to Surplus University Property
Standard Surplus Procedures are sufficient for most items on campus. Any additional procedures necessary for certain items are described below according to category. Surplus item categories include:

  • Capital Equipment
  • Technology
  • Furniture
  • Office Supplies
  • Contracted Equipment
  • Vehicles
  • Real Estate

Standard Surplus Procedures
Standard Surplus Procedures are defined as:

  1. Line management should be contacted to determine if there is use for
    the item elsewhere in the department before it is declared to be surplus. Items
    are declared surplus by providing the Surplus Team ( with the following information:

    • Capital Equipment or Non-Capital Equipment
    • Description of Item(s)
    • Quantity of Item(s)
    • ICNs (as available)
    • Serial numbers (as available)
    • Make and Model information (as available)
    • Physical location of item(s)
    • Steward or Requestor
    • Department
    • Department contact information
    • Pickup by Surplus Team or Drop-off by department
    • Any special instructions (e.g., available times, access requirements, etc.)
  2. The items are delivered to the Surplus Team's warehouse. If requested,
    items can be picked up by the Surplus Team according to availability.
  3. Items are repurposed, sold, or disposed of by the Surplus Team following university procedures
    (See Repurposing, Sales, and Disposal below). Department insight into potential buyers and/or
    value of the items are encouraged and appreciated.
  4. Proceeds from the sale of non-contracted surplus property will not be returned to campus units.
    An exception will be made when proceeds from a single item or group of related items exceed $5,000
    and the funding for the original purchase was not church appropriation. Campus unit seeking a rare exception
    should consult the Managing Director, Purchasing and Travel, the Assistant Administration Vice President, Finance, or the Office of
    the Associate Academic Vice President-Research & Graduate Studies. Proceeds from the sale of contracted surplus property will be distributed as determined by the terms of the grant or contract.

Capital Equipment

Capital Equipment is defined as equipment or items initially purchased for $5000 or more. Asset Management maintains a database of all capital equipment on campus and should be consulted to determine if an item is capital equipment.

In addition to contacting the Surplus Team, Asset Management must also be informed via email ( This email must include the following information:

  • Description of Item(s)
  • Quantity of Item(s)
  • Tag Number(s)
  • Serial number(s)
  • Make and Model(s)
  • Location of item(s)
  • Steward or Requestor
  • Department
  • Department contact information
  • Pickup by Surplus Team or Drop-off by department
  • Any special instructions (e.g., available times, access requirements, etc.)
  • Why the equipment is being declared surplus

Until Asset Management has confirmed the asset removal request via email the item may not be moved to the Surplus Team’s warehouse.

Technology is defined as equipment relating to the collection, transfer, storage, presentation, or processing of data, including audio and visual equipment.

Examples of technology include but are not limited to desktops, laptops, monitors, tablets, phones, servers, lighting, speakers, televisions, accessories related to technology items, etc.

Standard Surplus Procedures apply to technology items. However, in addition to consulting line management, technology should be vetted by the campus unit’s CSR and the Controller before the item is declared surplus. Technology items must contain all details requested in Standard Surplus Procedures, except for lower value items (e.g., shredders, mice, keyboards, etc.).

Data Security - All devices containing data (e.g., disk drives, scanners, copiers, etc.) must be securely erased whenever transferring to a new area. The Surplus Team will perform this for surplus leaving campus, but individual departments, through their CSRs, should perform this action when transferring data-containing devices within the university or their own department and before sending the device to surplus. If the device cannot be securely erased, the Surplus Team will make sure the item is destroyed through proper methods. BYU software and data cannot be reinstalled onto the device after it is sold. (See Appropriate Use of Information Technology Resources Policy)

Passwords and Device Settings - All passwords and linked accounts (e.g., Apple ID, bios passwords, etc.), must be removed before a change in stewardship. Failure to do so may result in the item being bricked and unusable. Devices should also be reset to factory default.

Electronic Hazardous Waste - Items such as batteries and monitors require special recycling. Any loose or expanding batteries should be separated from other items and given special consideration as they present a fire hazard. Any broken glass should also be kept separate and clearly marked. Technology that may have contained hazardous chemicals may also require additional procedures. (See Risk Management and Safety Policy)

Employee Specific Devices - These items may be purchased by the individuals who used them only through standard surplus sales. Items may not be held or reserved. The only exceptions to this rule are cell phones and tablets.

Cell Phones and Tablets - Cell phones and tablets sold in this manner follow the Standard Surplus Procedure, with some additional steps. First, a department Controller must approve the sale to the employee after declaring the item as surplus. The Surplus Team will respond with the sell price and the employee will be given the opportunity to buy the item. If the employee chooses to proceed, then the device is confirmed as having been factory reset and payment is made. If the employee declines the purchase, Standard Surplus Procedures are followed. (See Sales section below.)

Furniture is defined as items used to make the office/work-space suitable for working.

Movable Furniture - Examples include filing cabinets, desks, chairs, couches, floor mats, and appliances. Movable furniture items follow Standard Surplus Procedures.

Fixed Furniture – Examples include modular components like walls, dividers, under-desk drawers, desk-top surfaces and overhead bins & lighting, etc. When there is a need to modify, move, remove, and/or request fixed-furnishings contact Campus Facilities Planning at extension 2-5474. Fixed furnishings, their use, installation, and removal, when necessary, are all managed through Work-Orders and Service Requests issued by the office of Facilities Planning, within Space Management.

Office Supplies
Office supplies are generally low-value or consumable items. Examples include staplers, paper shredders, scissors, books, and inbox trays.

Office supplies’ descriptions can be summarized using more general terms than required by Standard Surplus Procedures (e.g., One box of office supplies, etc..).

Unneeded or used consumables such as loose paper, empty cardboard boxes, binders, writing utensils, etc. do not need to follow Standard Surplus Procedures and may be disposed of immediately. Good stewardship should guide these decisions. If unsure, contact the Surplus Team to determine the proper procedure.

Printed documents that contain sensitive information should be shredded according to the Information and Records Retention Policy.

Waste Material
Waste Material can be defined as leftover parts from projects that are not practical for reuse on campus as determined by line management.

Examples include construction materials that have been pulled out of a building, small pieces of lumber left from a project, used paving stones, etc.

Material marked for disposal does not exempt it from the university’s policy requirements. These materials may be offered by line management to employees through the Surplus Team using targeted sale or auction. The individual that buys the material cannot be the individual that authorized its disposal. Care should be taken in these cases to be a good steward and avoid conflicts of interest.

Waste material must be offered to a group (e.g., the carpentry shop, grounds, the electric shop, etc.). Targeted selling to an individual is not permitted.

A written record of this approval stating its status as waste material, and which group it was offered to, must be sent to the Surplus Team by the appropriate line management. Pricing may be suggested by the line management, but final price ultimately lies with the Surplus Team.

Contracted Equipment
Contracted Equipment (e.g., Research, Grant, or Equipment donated to the University) is defined as any items which were procured under contract through one of these purposes and must adhere to all contractual obligations. An example of Contracted Equipment would be a centrifuge procured through a grant.

As stated in University Surplus Policy:

“When the Research Office determines a sponsored project has been completed, equipment will be declared surplus and will be transferred to the sponsoring department, sold to another entity, or returned to the funding agency, as determined by the terms of the grant or contract.”

Insofar as contractual obligations allow and after contacting the Research Administration Office, Standard Surplus Procedures should be followed.

Vehicles can be defined as equipment which typically runs under its own power, has a state-issued Vehicle Title, or has a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Typically, this includes cars, trucks, vans, etc. From time-to-time unique vehicle-types such as golf carts or other drivable equipment may be defined as being a vehicle.

Vehicles do not follow Standard Surplus Procedures but are handled by the University Surplus Vehicle Committee. For additional details, please visit

Real Estate
Real Estate does not follow Standard Surplus Procedures.

The Administrative Vice President & CFO shall designate real estate properties that are to be used by the University and those which represent surplus property. All surplus real property will be sold through the Investment Properties Department, with appropriate support from General Counsel and Financial Services. Questions regarding surplus real estate should be directed to Investment Properties, ext. 2-3614.

Final Disposition of Surplus Items

Not all items sent to Surplus will be sold. Efforts will be made to repurpose items with useful life back to campus based on the item condition, age, leasing pool needs, and market factors. Examples include the computer rental program and used furniture. The Surplus Team will determine prices, if any, for leasing or repurposing back to campus. Leased computers and used furniture are first come, first served.

All surplus sales must be managed by the Surplus Team. Departments are not authorized to conduct surplus sales or handle surplus transactions. Employees who wish to obtain surplus items must do so through these established surplus procedures. All funds from selling surplus items will be transferred to the university’s general fund to be redistributed according to policy. This procedure protects against conflicts of interest.

The Surplus Team will post listings at,, or other web-based sites (eBay,, local and industry-specific classifieds, other industry-serving sites, etc.). Employees, students, and the public are invited to purchase items at these sites or submit bids. All items must be turned over to the Surplus Team before they can be listed. The Surplus Team may designate or authorize alternate sales channels to maximize the value received for surplus goods, including internet auction, targeted auction, or trade-in, consistent with the Surplus Teams’ governing priorities. All sales must be offered to a group (e.g., department, university employees, or the public). If sale to a specific individual is desired, then the Authorization For Faculty To Purchase Or Transfer Equipment form must be used.

Surplus sales will be held periodically onsite at the warehouse as a venue to sell items. Full-time university employees & retirees will at times be admitted with a current University ID before the general public as a benefit of employment. The Surplus Team will determine when employees may be admitted. Notification of future surplus sales are made via the email list, visit or, email and ask to be put on the notification list.

Software may only be sold if it does not conflict with the University’s license contracts. This means certain apps (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.) will not be sold with computers. The most current operating system allowed by license contracts will be installed if possible.

Selling certain items to a specific employee is only possible with academic and administrative vice president approvals and through the Surplus Team. While this can be done, departments should strongly consider if there is a need for the item elsewhere within the department and what the impact of replacing the item will be on their budget. In order to complete this process, the Authorization For Faculty To Purchase Or Transfer Equipment form must be submitted.

Pricing - To best respect the sacred funds of the university and, within the space constraints of the warehouse, the Surplus Team will attempt to sell items for fair market value. The Surplus Team sets all pricing for sales. Discounting fair market value is at the discretion of the Surplus Team (e.g., item is not moving as quickly as needed).

Phones and Tablets - To simplify processing by the Surplus Team, phones and tablets may be purchased by the most recent user. This purchase must be processed by the Surplus Team. Pricing will be determined by the Surplus Team based on fair market value.

Proof of payment must be presented before any surplus item will be released to the buyer. Payment methods vary by purchase type. Payment instructions will be provided at the time of purchase.

Items marked for disposal, including items awaiting pickup, are not available for individuals to take or purchase. Surplus Procedures must apply.

Hazardous Waste is defined as items that contains dangerous chemicals and must be disposed of following the Risk Management and Safety Policy. All such waste should be disposed of through and in coordination with Risk Management.

Examples of technology hazardous waste include screens, toner, printers, batteries, appliances with refrigerant, etc. The Surplus Team will determine the proper method of disposal for surplus items. Attempts will be made to recycle applicable items before other disposal methods are attempted. When an item is best suited for recycling, existing contracts and collection methods will be utilized, in consultation with the BYU Recycling department.

As stated in University Surplus Policy:

“The university does not normally make donations to other organizations. However, in special situations, an exception may be granted. Colleges or departments who wishing to donate university property to outside entities must first obtain approval from the Administration Vice President and CFO.”

Consideration is given by contacting the Surplus Team, who will then request approval from the Assistant Administration Vice President’s Office. If approval is granted, the item(s) must be declared surplus and go through Standard Surplus Procedures before being donated. An explanation of the donation should be emailed to Surplus Team can use List of charities approved by AVP. Departments must get approval from AVP.

Line management, department heads, and controllers should be consulted about surplus first. If any questions remain, they may be directed to the Surplus Administrator in Purchasing at extension 2-7004 or one of the other members of the Surplus Team if the administrator cannot be contacted (OIT Surplus - 2-4386, Moving 2-2710).