Skip to main content

Receipt Procedures

What if I lose a receipt or do not obtain an itemized receipt?

University policy requires itemized receipts for all purchasing card transactions and all travel related transactions over $50. If you have lost or did not receive the receipt from a vendor, you should make the necessary efforts to obtain that receipt. Many vendors when contacted will be able to email you a duplicate receipt.

If you are unable to collect the needed duplicate receipt, then you can still submit the expense in Chrome River. A rule enforcement box will come up asking why the receipt is not available and what efforts you made to obtain a duplicate. Provide that explanation in the box.

Chrome River document approvers will review and approve that explanation or return the report with additional explanations. A list of all missing receipts will be provided to your campus controller on a regular basis.

It is no longer necessary to load the completed Lost of Missing Receipt Affidavit into Chrome River as long as the reason the receipt is missing has been properly documented in Chrome River.

What is an itemized receipt?

The following five elements are required on a receipt to properly claim it as a business expense:

  1. Name of the vendor
  2. Transaction date
  3. Detailed description of goods or services purchased
  4. Amount paid
  5. Form of payment (how you paid - cash, check, last 4 digits of credit card)

A credit card slip, bank statement, or credit card statement is not an itemized receipt. If a tip is included on the credit card slip then both the credit card slip showing the total amount and the itemized receipt need to be attached to the expense report as shown in the example below.

Image of a sample receipt from a restaurant.
Itemized Receipt
Image of a sample receipt from a restaurant.
Credit Card Sales Slip